Sunday 5 July 2009

Test time

After weeks of putting it aside, i finally got around to filling in the RAF application form...... the night before my AST.

The forms greatly confused me. Some of the questions were quite vague and the supplementary booklet basically reworded the questions instead of explaining them. Guess that the form is the first step to finding out if you're a complete idiot or not. Thankfully, I think I did ok.

So off I trot to the AFCO on the day of my test with my application form proudly filled in and an A4 wallet full of documents and certificates that I didn't actually need at all. I found myself in a room with the biggest bunch of numpties I've ever met. One girl had a tattoo on her neck which she was trying to keep hidden ( not gonna work at the medical love ) and one of the guys turned up in a tracksuit. Idiots.

Anyway, after handing over our forms, certificates, ID and whatnot we were herded upstairs to the dreaded 'test room'. Despite the careers guys kind words and encouragement, nobody except me could remember how their vocal cords worked so we just gave up and got on with the test.

The test itself is pretty simple. If you have yet to take it, don't worry about it just relax and don't rush yourself. It's all multiple choice and just a case of understanding the example and then making sure you read each question properly. You don't need huge scores for any trade so just do your best (corny bit over)

After the test we were all sent out for a fag/drink/fresh air and then gather back into the test room for a presentation all about the RAF and the sorts of things you'll need to know for your interview.

TAKE NOTES. It sounds simple but if they tell you that you're going to need a certain piece of information, you are going to need it. Don't ignore the professionals or you deserve to fail the interview.

And feel free to respond to the questions and stuff when the guys are talking to you, I was the only one talking in our presentation and had a very good laugh with the bloke taking it.

I am told that the presentation is sometimes given to you before you take the test, on a different day, whatever. But the gist is still the same so it's all relevant.

The final part of the day is the results. One by one we were called out of the test room into a little room where the two sergeants had all the results and other paperwork we handed in and some good news or some bad news. Or maybe a bit of both in my case.

I scored a whopping score of 97. The best they had ever seen in their time at the AFCO. The bad news, however, was that currently the recruitment for Aircraft Technician (mechanical) was closed and I was instead faced with a choice. Choose another trade from the list of available ones, or wait it out until my chosen trade was available again before carrying on with the applicaation.

No comments:

Post a Comment