Thursday 16 July 2009

I am officially fit

2 months ago, when i started this whole process, I was unfit. So unfit that i struggled to think about running, let alone actualy do it. So I was more than a little paniced when I was told at my interview that I'd have 4 weeks to prepare.

My training basically consisted of quitting smoking, eating a lot more, lots of weights for my lower body and lots and lots and lots of running. The press ups and situps are easy. So training to do those is q bit of a waste unless you're a weed.

To reach 2.4 km in 12 minutes you need to average 12 km per hour on the treadmill. You can do this however you like at you own pace. I worked out that I could split the run up with 8kmph walks if I ran a little faster and threw in a 30 second sprint every so often. My theory was watertight and great for training. It definately helped to change my program every time I ran as I quickly got used to running at various speeds and lengths of time.

Weights I didn't push it too much with but you shouldn't wimp out. They still need to be built up for running. I also did a fair bit of other cardio stuff aswell but I usually just ran. I find cardio workouts very boring, but neccessary.

The night before my test I was quite worried. Although I'd improved alot over the 2 months, injury, illness and a week of drinking and smoking took it's toll on my fitness and my progress began to slow off. My final gym session before my test ended at a disappointing 2.2 km in 12 minutes so I was more than a bit wary over failing. I ended the night early with a muscle soaking bath and a good nights sleep to recover properly.

Things weren't much better when I first arrived at the test though as I was told you're not allowed to listen to an iPod or anything. You just had to run.

After doing all the medical forms and the usual crap that must be done before you can use a gym, I was left to warm up and stretch. Something I don't often do but probably should. And then it was just a case of getting down to it.

I started running at 12.5 kmph as I had planned previously but after the 4 minutes I usually run for I just decided to keep going steady. The trainer counting every minute that passed was a big help. When I got to 9 minutes I was almost there so slowed down to my walk for about 30 seconds to grab a drink of water and wipe my face and then pushed on again. I gave the last 50 metres a final sprint and finished in 11 minutes 27 seconds. Which is a solid result since I've been struggling until now.

You have an hour from the moment you start you run to complete the entire test. So after a 5 minute cooldown I still had quite a while before my minute of pressups and situps had to be started. But why wait? I chose to just jump straight in and do it. 10 pressups and 18 situps is nothing so I did 16 and 20 in about 30 seconds each. Not really wanting to do too many even though I could. Lets face it, there's not really much point at this stage.

After the assessors congratulaions and getting my paperwork back it was all over. I celebrated with a fag whilst I phoned the AFCO to tell them. Now it's just a case of waiting for my joining dates and then I get to go sign my contract.

With all that over, I'm off to play a spot of ice hockey tonight and get injured in celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment