Tuesday 25 August 2009

A little about me


Given the fact I really don't have much to blog about until my PRTC in December and I don't want my blog to become stagnant and disused, I've decided to write a little about myself, my background and my decision itself.

This should take a few posts as my experiances with the forces and such are quite long and one post would be a rather boring essay.

I suppose the best place to start would be when I decided to join the Air Training Corps at the age of 12 and a bit.

I'd always been drawn towards the forces for some reason, and living quite close to Duxford IWM gave me a love for things that fly. Naturally, I wanted to be a pilot and so decided to join the ATC for that chance to fly.

I went along to my first parade night just after my 13th birthday and they began teaching me the basics of drill and how to behave whilst at the squadron.

I remained a fairly quiet kid for the first few months whilst I was starting to fit in. Although there were a few school friends at the squadron, I had a late birthday so the others had already formed friendships and it took time to feel comfortable and accepted.

The biggest difference came when I first put on that blue uniform. Even though I was a chubby lad and didn't look anywhere near as smart as I should have, it gave me a sense of really being part of the squadron and I made every effort to get better.

Fast forward a year and I was now a fully fledged member of the squdron and a snare player in the band. Joining the band really bought out a competitive streak in me. I HAD to be the best.

Between joining the band, taking part in field excercises and being a part of the wing field day team I was beginning to look for the next step in cadet life. Promotion.

It took a long time for me to get my corporal stripes. Every excuse was made by my CO as to why I wasn't receiving them. Everything from 'too many NCOs' and 'just promoted a new corporal' to 'as soon as you pass your JNCO course, you'll get them'

I'd done everything I could including my JNCO course but there were still no stripes for me. I was even doing the jobs a corporal would do but it wasnt getting me anywhere.

Funnily, the thing that finally go me my stripes was the actions of another corporal. Actions that got him demoted.

I shall update again soon to continue the story. Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment