Tuesday 26 January 2010

And I'm done

Last blog post on the application process now. In 3 and a half weeks time I shall be blogging from RTS on RAF Halton.

So, the final interview. For a start it's a whole lot shorter, simpler and less formal than the first formal interview, but the same rules apply so don't let your guard down.

The main difference this time is that the interview is with an officer rather than an NCO and mostly about going through paperwork and signing things off on top of them making sure of your suitability.

When I got there I had to sit and read through all of the attestation paperwork to make sure I understood it all and my details on it were correct. It's long, it's boring and it doesn't make a whole bunch of sense first read through if you are skimming. Basically it says you're signing up for x years, you can leave after y years but have to do z years in the reserves. And something to do with being called up for war and RAF law, etc etc.

After that I was called into an office and the interview began. Mostly we talked about the things that were bought up in the last interview, fitness being a big thing for me and what I'm doing to improve. I was asked a few questions on my training and what I was looking forward to, basic questions to make sure I knew what I was getting into. Finally we talked about my trade, mostly about Tactical Comms Wing as I mentioned that being a role I'd quite like, and going forward etc.

Final part was a quick run through of a few things to make sure nothing major had changed in my personal circumstances and that I'd understood everything I'd had to read before hand.

That done it was on to the paperwork signing. There's lots of things to sign and fill in, the provisional offer of service being the most important, and then you get lots of bits of paper to take home (including a certificate that I was told "mums love", and mum was impressed with it) and sent on your way with a congratulations and 'don't get injured'.

It's as simple as that, nothing too taxing but keeping genned up helps of course. Personnally I came out with a head twice the size as when I went in but I won't go into detail about how the AFCO think I'm amazing.

To celebrate, I went straight into work to hand my notice in, followed by a night playing ice hockey, just to test the 'don't get injured' thing.

And that's it on the application process. As of now I'm done with that and I've blogged on every part along the way. Unless anyone has any burning desire to know any thing in particular I may have missed off (I am planning on a post about boot care) the next time I'll blog like I have been will be either whilst I'm prepping to leave or on Day Zero of RTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment