Saturday 12 December 2009

Damn Fitness Test

So, as per my PRTC post, one element was passing the RAFFT.

For my age group (and being male) thats a level 9.10 in the MSFT (or bleep test), 20 press-ups and 35 situps in a minute. Press-ups and situps were no problem for me, you've only got to get 4 press-ups and 7 sit-ups to get through PRTC (personnally I think that turning up for RTS being able to do less than 15 press-ups is discusting). I did the full 20 and 35 not the wimpy 20% pass PRTC asks of you.

The bleep test however caused me a slight problem. Until PRTC I had NEVER run a bleep test in my life, so although i knew what to expect, I'd never practiced it really. Personnally, as an ice hockey player, I'm build for short (45 - 120 second) bursts of high intensity work. The bleep test on the other hand requires you to start slow, reserving energy, and build over a period of time until you physically can't do any more. So, I reached a 8.0 on the bleep test (quite bad in my eyes).

Sadly, this means I now need to re-take the MSFT to reach at least a level 8.6 (yes, 6 shuttles off) to be accepted for RTS. I have been sent a date in January and I'm off to RAF Wyton (I hate that place) to try again. This time I shall be practicing the bleep test itself along with my regular aerobic and Fartlek exercise program so that I know what I'm doing this time around but if anyone has any tips, feel free to let me know.

That's it for now, if anyone wants to know the particular levels they need to reach on PRTC just leave a comment with your sex and age, I have the tables right here

No comments:

Post a Comment